Friday, October 22, 2010

My Third Week of Service- A Fun Day at Service

This past Tuesday at service was really exciting.  When I arrived I was able to join the girls in their Spanish lesson and it was nice to see them all engaging in learning a new language.  I sat dow next to the educational aide, Ms. Jackson, and I started conversating with her. We spoke of all the things that were taking place in the classroom since we had no service last week. She told me that the girls were beginning to decorate the classroom with pictures they had drawn or painted for the fall season.
When we got back to the class, I found myself cutting out cards that had pictures of  things that began with the letter "M" because that is the letter they were on this week. Mrs. Jackson, the teacher, asked me to practice enunciating the M sound and practice saying the words with the girls in my group. So we started making M sounds and I had all the girls say what the picture was.  After that, we started playing the Memory Game with the cards to see who could get the most number of matches.  As my time came to an end at 11:10 am, I asked Mrs. Jackson if she would not mind having me come in to do my service with her class next semester, and she told me that she would be thrilled to have me back.  It made me feel quite good to see that just my presence really meant a lot to both the girls and Mrs. Jackson.  I finally feel that I have found my ideal service site and I plan on continuing to work with Mrs. Jackson at Warner Girls Leadership Academy for the duration of my time here at John Carroll University.

No comments:

Post a Comment