Friday, October 22, 2010

My Fourth Week of Serice- Service Blog This Past Tuesday

This past Tuesday, my service learning teacher, Mrs. Jackson at Warner Girls Leadership Academy, had me do an activity with all of the girls in the classroom that involved M&M's and predictions.  What she had me do was sort out six different colors of the M&M's and place no more than 10 of each onto the different plates labeled with the color: red, yellow, green, blue, brown, and orange.  Then she gave me two number lines to help the girls point to the number of M&M's that they thought were on each plate for each different color. This was what we did for the whole class and their predictions were relly good...and they are just pre-k students....and that to me is amazing!  I am so thrilled that the girls are so eager to learn and please all of the "big people" as they call us. 
I also just wanted to mention that in a room full of girls, it can be overwhelming, but at the same time, I have never had to scream or yell and shout at them to let them know that I was in charge. All I have ever had to do with children, who want to do different activites all at the same time, was to redirect their attention and show them that we all were going to do an activity together and it has worked for me every single time.  I understand that for some people, small children are not their forte', but just like Dr. Shutkin said in class yesterday, "You have to love all the children, not just the ones who behave well, but the ones who don't behave well either."  There is no reason to have to stand on a soapbox and yell at these young children because THEY ARE CHILDREN AND THEY ARE GOING TO ACT AND BE CHILDREN WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!  A LITTLE BIT OF PATIENCE AND EFFORT GOES A LONG WAY WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH KIDS...

No comments:

Post a Comment